All set to throw a fabulous cocktail party? Great idea indeed! What better way than an exciting party to meet new people and strengthen old relationships. It is a great way to share some quality time with your family and friends. But if you are not prepared for it, then it might not turn out to be the party you dreamed about. Planning well ahead of time is imperative and will save a lot of headache letters on.
Decorations for a Cocktail Party
What is a cocktail party without extravagant party decorations? Setting the right mood for the ensuing party should be on the top of your list. And that is achieved by decorating the venue of the party in the most attractive possible manner you can. Party is for having fun and meet people. When the environment is pleasant to the eyes and other senses, the fun is multiplied manifold and people are able to bond and communicate better.
- The decorations for a family cocktail party should express the unique characteristics and personality of the host family. It is a great way to exhibit your creativity. You can instill a special look and feel to the party by decorating it in an uncanny yet pleasant way.
- Entertaining your guests at home? Make sure that they feel ‘at home’ too! Decorated with your unique personality in mind. Exhibit your creativity. Use gentler, homely designs and color-combinations for curtains, cushions, and carpets. Beautiful table-cloths or cushion-covers with soft-colored floral designs will add to the charm of the place.
- Lighting for a cocktail party should be gentle and subdued. Light some colored candles to bring a fantasy-like feel to the venue. The soft, gentle and colorful glow of lave lamps can also set the right ambiance for the party.
- What is a party without appropriate music? Loud music is a definite no-no for a cocktail party. Something melodious and soft to the ears will make the atmosphere more relaxed and cordial.
- A theme-based décor can add greatly to the look and appeal of the party venue. Selecting your favorite color schemes that are used consistently throughout the decorations can infuse a sense of harmony and balance.
- Flower bouquets, house-plants or a well-maintained aquarium can add a beautiful natural feel to the party venue.
Food and Drinks for the Cocktail Party
Delicious food and drinks help maintain a happy and boisterous atmosphere and people are able to socialize better. The following are just a handful of ideas you may consider for your party.
For Event Planning Trends
- A cocktail party is short and sweet and typically lasts for about 2-3 hours. Therefore, you don’t need to go for a full course of a meal. Some simple snacks and finger foods to keep the guests happily engaged while chatting around and socializing could well be more than enough.
- Cocktail parties are basically about drinks and special attention needs to be given to this important aspect of the party. Whether you have a well-stocked bar or just a chosen few drinks on your menu, make sure that you allow the guests full access to their favorite ones so that they can choose and blend them to their liking.
- There is a wealth of delicious menus you can offer for the party. Various varieties of kababs such as reshmi kabab, Shami kabab, Hara bhara kabab; chicken preparations like chicken tikka, tandoori chicken, chicken kababs, etc; maida roti, egg pulav, bhajia, samosas, pakoras, koftas, sandwiches, etc. The list could be endless and you can decide depending on your taste and the size of the party.
Dressing for the Occasion
Dressing appropriately for the party is important as it makes a good impression on your guests. It also helps you feel comfortable and confident about yourself. The following are a few tips to select the perfect dress for your next party.
- The chilled-out, informal atmosphere of a cocktail party allows you the freedom to choose from a variety of interesting outfits. There is no strict dress code and you set the tone of your appearance!
- Keeping with the season is important as it will decide your comfort level in the dress you be wearing.
- Wearing a simple yet perky dress instead of something like a full-length gown will make you feel more in-tune with the chilled-out atmosphere of the party. After all, you are attending a cocktail party, not walking the red carpet!
- Sarees are great for almost any occasion if you are comfortable with them. Make sure that they are light and comfortable with subtle embroidery and not the heavily crafted ones that you usually wear for weddings.
- Avoid too bright or heavily colored outfits. Subtle shades of red, pink, black, blue, grey, etc. are best for the party evenings.
- Add matching jewelry that compliments the dress. Again, simple is sexy.
- Keep accessories to a minimum. Make sure it gels well with your outfit. A trendy hand-purse could be all you need to keep.
- Don’t overdo make-up. Keep it simple, light and subtle.
Games for the Cocktail Party
Games infuse life in an otherwise monotonous party. They bring fun, evoke enthusiasm and instill a sense of unpredictability that makes things exciting. They also help break the ice and enhance socialization. Make sure to add a couple of games to your party. The following are a few ideas to consider.
- Dumb Charades
- Spelling bees
- Musical Chair
- Guess the tune
- Name the Drink
- Board games like Scrabble or Monopoly
- Card games like Bridge, Rummy, etc.
Cocktail parties are a great way to socialize and strengthen old relationships. They can also be a great way to make new contacts and friendships. With the proper planning, you can organize a wonderful party that will attract the admiration of many people.
You May Also Like:
Have you sent out invitations for your upcoming event? If not, save paper and send free online invitations now.
Looking for a party venue? Browse and book best-suited party venues from VenueLook.com